When it comes to creating your backyard oasis, the type of pool you choose can significantly impact your overall experience.
While above-ground pools have long been a popular choice for their cost-effectiveness and easy installation, there’s a growing trend of partially or fully burying these pools for added aesthetic appeal.
Let’s dive into the pros and cons of putting an above-ground pool in the ground.
- Enhanced Aesthetics – Burying an above-ground pool can give it the appearance of an in-ground pool, providing a more integrated and visually appealing look for your outdoor space. It can elevate the overall aesthetics of your backyard, creating a seamless and sophisticated appearance.
- Cost Savings – Above-ground pools are generally more budget-friendly than in-ground options. By opting to partially or fully sink the pool into the ground, you retain the cost advantage while achieving a more polished look.
- Quick Installation – Above-ground pools are known for their relatively quick installation compared to in-ground pools. This can save you both time and money during the construction phase, allowing you to enjoy your pool sooner.
- Flexibility with Depth – Burying an above-ground pool offers the flexibility to customize the depth according to your preferences. This customization allows for various activities, from lounging in shallow waters to diving in deeper sections.
- Ease of Maintenance – Above-ground pools are often easier to maintain than in-ground pools. The accessibility to the pool’s components, such as the pump and filter, is improved, making routine maintenance tasks more straightforward.
- Professional Installation Required – While above-ground pools are known for their DIY-friendly nature, burying them requires professional installation. This adds an extra layer of cost, and finding a skilled pool deck contractor is crucial for ensuring proper installation and safety.
- Initial Cost Increase – Burying an above-ground pool involves additional expenses for excavation, leveling, and installation. While the overall cost is still generally lower than an in-ground pool, it can be a significant increase compared to an above-ground setup.
- Potential for Damage – Burying a pool may expose it to a greater risk of damage, especially if the surrounding soil is prone to shifting or settling. This can lead to structural issues over time, necessitating repairs.
- Complex Installation Process – The process of burying an above-ground pool is more intricate than the standard installation. It involves excavation, additional support structures, and proper drainage considerations, making it a more complex project.
- Semi-Permanent Structure – While the pool itself is designed to be durable, the structure’s semi-permanent nature may not provide the same longevity as a fully in-ground pool. Consideration must be given to potential wear and tear over the years.
Installation Process and Considerations
- Excavation – Excavation is a critical step in the process. The area must be dug out to accommodate the pool structure, and the soil should be properly graded to ensure stability.
- Leveling – Achieving a level surface is paramount for the pool’s structural integrity. A level base ensures even weight distribution and prevents uneven settling.
- Support Structures – Additional support structures, such as retaining walls or backfill, may be necessary to prevent soil erosion and provide stability. This is where the expertise of a pool deck contractor becomes invaluable.
- Proper Drainage – Implementing a reliable drainage system is crucial to prevent water accumulation around and beneath the pool. Poor drainage can lead to structural damage and compromise the pool’s longevity.
- Professional Installation – Hiring a skilled pool deck contractor is essential for navigating the complexities of the installation process. They can assess the site, recommend appropriate support structures, and ensure that the pool is safely and securely installed.
- Material Costs – The primary material costs include those for excavation, leveling, support structures, and any additional features. These costs can vary based on the size of the pool and the complexity of the installation.
- Labor Costs – Professional installation comes with labor costs, and these can vary depending on the region and the contractor’s rates. Getting quotes from multiple contractors is advisable to ensure a competitive price.
- Maintenance Costs – While above-ground pools generally have lower maintenance costs, burying them may introduce additional considerations. Regular inspections and potential repairs should be factored into the overall maintenance budget.
Challenges and Considerations
- Installation Time – While above-ground pools are known for their quicker installation, burying them may extend the process due to additional steps such as excavation and leveling.
- Maintenance Complexity – Burying a pool may introduce complexities in terms of maintenance. Regular checks for water accumulation, drainage, and potential structural issues become imperative.
- Degree of Customization – While burying an above-ground pool offers customization, it may not match the extensive design options available with fully in-ground structures.
- Material Choices – The types of materials suitable for buried above-ground pools may be limited compared to in-ground options. Understanding these constraints is essential for a successful project.
- Eco-Friendly Choice – The use of above-ground pools, when buried, can be considered an eco-friendly choice as it often requires fewer resources and has a smaller environmental impact than fully in-ground pools.
- Energy Efficiency – Above-ground pools are generally more energy-efficient, and when buried, they can benefit from the insulating properties of the surrounding soil, helping to maintain water temperature.
Customization and Design
Burying an above-ground pool opens up a realm of design possibilities. You can integrate the pool seamlessly into your landscape, creating a cohesive and visually stunning outdoor space. Consider features such as decking, landscaping, and lighting to enhance the overall appeal.
Ensuring the safety of the buried pool is paramount. Adequate fencing, proper signage, and compliance with local building codes are essential. Professional installation not only addresses safety concerns but also ensures adherence to regulations.
Transform Your Backyard Bliss: Consult with Our Pool Deck Contractors Today!
Ready to transform your outdoor space with a unique buried above-ground pool? Our team of experienced pool deck contractors is here to bring your vision to life. From customized designs to professional installations, we ensure a seamless process that combines aesthetics with functionality.
Dive into the world of innovative pool solutions that offer flexibility, cost savings, and a touch of eco-friendliness. Make your dream swimming pool a reality with us.
Contact our experts today at 714-519-5009 to discuss your project, explore design possibilities, and take the first step toward creating the perfect buried above-ground pool for your backyard oasis.